Saturday, December 26, 2015

Books will survive the age of the Kindle – Spectator.co.uk (blog)

The Kindle does not seem to be doing too well. According this Waterstones, sales of the e-reader have virtually disappeared, while in America, the Nook is losing $ 70 million a year. I’m not sure Whether this is something to mourn or to celebrate; and the triumph of Bibliophilia over the new technology or the loss of an opportunity that promote reading. My old Kindle is useful on planes, but the technology is actually quite clumsy: the pages sometimes refuse to swipe and I’ve never quite got used to finding my place at ‘location 15.597′ or wherever. Anyway, I’ve always believed That books have an aesthetic quality, that they are more than the sum of Their contents. I notice more and more Bookshops are selling handsomely bound volumes of classics and the demand for signed copies seems to be insatiable. It’s really quite comforting That literature survives on its own terms in this technological age.

This is an extract from Anthony Horowitz’s Christmas Notebook.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment